PROGRAMS & INITIATIVES
Opioid-Involved Deaths in the United States and California
In the U.S. there were 93,331 drug overdose deaths reported in 2020.
- Opioids were involved in 69,710 overdose deaths in 2020- 75% of all overdose deaths.
- Synthetic opioids were involved in 57,550 overdose deaths- 62% of all overdose deaths.
In California, there were 5,363 opioid related drug overdose deaths in 2020. Of those, 3,857 or 72% were due to fentanyl overdose.
The purpose of the MATCONNECT Program is to:
- Provide a holistic and patient-centered approach integrating physical and behavioral health services for subtance use disorders.
- Implement or expand an evidence-based medication assisted treatment program that supports recovery and health improvement to CALOPTIMA members.
MATCONNECT Program Goals
- Ensure providers and staff trained to provide care in clinics
- Develop and implement a culturally appropriate anti-sigma campaign.
- Establish a partnership with Orange County Health Care Agency (OCHCA) Drug Medi-Cal Delivery System for referrals.
- Provide management oversight for MAT program and patient care coordiation.
- To improve accessiblity through telemdicine services.
Advantages of MAT
- Reduce the risk of overdose
- Increase treatment retention
- Improve social functioning
- Reduced Risk of Infectious Disease Transmission.
- Reduced Justice system involvement.
MAT Intake Process
- Patient schedules MAT appointment
- Can be telemedicine or in-person visit
- Induction can be in office or at home
- Patient takes first dose, waits 30 minutes
- If the patient is still experiencing symptoms, take additional doses as directed. Patient calls provider if still experiencing symptoms.
- Initial prescription is for seven days during the first month of treatment.
Role of the Coalition of Orange County Community Health Centers
The role of the Coalition of Orange County Community Health Centers is to:
- Provide training for clinics and providers
- Development of MAT Program Toolkit; policies and procedure templates
- Project ECHO consultations
If you’re interested in participating in the MATCONNECT Program please contact Jewel Loff, MATCONNECT Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org